- You are a United States citizen
- You graduated from an ABA-accredited law school
- You are a member in good standing of a bar of a state or territory of the United States, or D.C.
- You do not exceed the applicable age limit. If you have never served as a commissioned officer in the military, you must be commissioned as an officer in the military by your 40th birthday, this process can take up to 1-2 years to accomplish. If you have served as a commissioned officer, slightly different rules apply; contact us for more information.
- You meet medical qualification criteria for appointment in the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard
CONSIDERATIONS BEFORE APPLYING
Currently, the Air Force JAG Corps Air Reserve Component (ARC) programs are at or nearly at 100% manning. We continue to accept a small number of the most highly qualified candidates, but accession to these programs is extremely competitive.
- Our most qualified candidates have prior Active Duty JAG experience. Other competitive applicants typically have at least 4 - 6 years' experience as practicing, licensed attorneys and have work experience that is directly transferrable to the Air Force JAG Corps' missions.
- Successful applicants must be commissioned before their 40th birthday; a smooth, successful application process normally lasts at least 8-10 months before commissioning occurs.
- We are unlikely to accept a candidate with a recent criminal record or history of drug abuse. Additional factors bearing on competitiveness may include work history and academic and bar exam performance.
- We may have to assign you to a duty location far from your home, especially if you live near a major metropolitan area. As you gain seniority, it becomes more likely that we will assign you to a distant duty location. You may be responsible for some or all of your travel costs in getting to your duty location.
- Applicants must be immediately available for training and/or duty upon commissioning.
If you're interested in Active Duty JAG, visit our active duty JAG recruiting web page for more information:
How to Apply
- Download and complete all required forms and documents listed in the Checklist
- Choose one of two options for submission of application: