« return to job listing
Overview: Airfield Management personnel ensure that runways, lighting systems, and other airfield components and systems are safe and well maintained at all times so that takeoffs and landings can proceed safely. Clear and precise communication skills are required in order to respond quickly and effectively to the situations and emergencies that are part of airfield operations.
- Inspect airfields and ensure a safe operating environment for personnel and aircraft operation
- Coordinate with agencies including air traffic control, civil engineers, and command post
- Perform mobile airfield management for worldwide deployment of aircraft
- Provide aircrews with information and services related to airfield management and flight planning
- For entry into this specialty, completion of high school with a course in typing, speech and basic knowledge of computers is desirable.
- Normal color vision
- Ability to speak distinctly in person and over air-to-ground radios
- ASVAB score of 50 on General and 40 on Mechanical
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8 ½ weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Occupation:
- Airfield Operations Specialists