« return to job listing
Airlift/Special Mission Aircraft Maintenance
Overview: Airlift/Special Mission Aircraft Maintenance personnel are responsible for the pre and post-flight inspections as well as the general mechanical work necessary to ensure that aircraft are operationally ready to fly. They serve as flight chiefs in supervising all maintenance activities and determining when aircraft repairs require assignment to individual systems specialists.
- Execute scheduled inspections, functional checks, and preventative maintenance on aircraft and aircraft installed equipment
- Implement pre-flight inspection of aircraft, fluids, and fuels
- Do post-flight inspection to ensure aircraft is in operationally ready condition
- Perform general mechanical work as opposed to working on a particular system
- Completion of high school is mandatory. Completion of related vocational courses is highly desirable.
- Normal color vision
- ASVAB score of 47 on Mechanical
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8 ½ weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX, followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Aircraft and Avionics Equipment Mechanics and Technicians