« return to job listing
Overview: The government is a major purchaser of supplies and services. It is essential that the government receives the best value for its dollar and that all contracts are awarded as a result of fair competition that is open to all qualified vendors. Contracting personnel assist Contracting Officers in the preparation of contract solicitations and awards as well as evaluations of contractor performance and compliance.
- Administer contracting functions for commodities, services and construction
- Review proposed documents to ensure correctness and compliance with regulations, directives, laws, statutes and contracting policies
- Prepare solicitations and ensures they are publicly advertised as appropriate
- Evaluate cost/pricing and past performance information
- Conduct site visits to determine adequacy of contractor compliance
- HS diploma or GED.
- Minimum ASVAB score of 72 on General
- Non-Prior Service Airmen: Never have been convicted by a civilian court of a Category 1, 2, or 3 offense, or exceed the acceptable number of Category 4 or 5 offenses. Category 3, 4, or 5 traffic offenses alone are not disqualifying.
- For Airmen being reclassified into 6C0X1 or first term and career Airmen retraining into the 6C0X1 AFSC:
- Must not have been convicted by court-martial nor received an Article 15 for the past 3 years, and can neverhave been convicted by court-martial nor ever received an Article 15 for dereliction in the performance of dutiesinvolving contracting activities, larceny, misappropriation of government funds or property, financial irresponsibility, or committing acts of misconduct relating to or engaging in falsification of legal documents.
- Retraining applicants can never have been convicted by a civilian or military court of any Category 1 offense and can never have been convicted by a civilian or military court of a Category 2 offense involving violence, theft, or a crime of a sexual nature. Cannot have been convicted by a civilian or military court of other Category 2 or 3 offenses within the past 3 years, nor exceed the acceptable number of Category 4 or 5 offenses. Category 3, 4, or 5 traffic offenses alone are not disqualifying.
- Retraining applicants must be E-5 or below and cannot possess a promotion sequence line number to E-6 prior to official notification of attendance to the Air Force Contracting Mission Ready Airman Course.
- Those seeking to retrain into Contracting must have an interview with the nearest permanently assigned superintendent of a numbered contracting flight or contracting squadron to evaluate the retrainee’s suitability for the 6C0X1 career field.
- Ability to speak distinctly and communicate effectively in writing
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Occupation:
- Financial or Procurement
- Purchasing Managers, Buyers and Purchasing Agents