« return to job listing
Overview: Most emergencies don't occur with advance notice. However, developing contingency plans for dealing with emergencies and establishing pre-determined mobility, response and recovery procedures can minimize causalities and damage. These are the essential and life-saving roles of Emergency Management personnel.
- Develop contingency and disaster preparedness plans to minimize casualties and damage from natural disasters, major accidents, wartime and other military operations
- Coordinate actions to allow continuation or restoration of vital functions and operations
- Establish procedures for contamination control
- Ensure NBC (nuclear, biological and chemical) protective clothing and devices are available
- Conduct disaster preparedness and hazardous material emergency response training
- Normal color vision
- Ability to speak distinctly
- POssiss a valid state driver's license to operate government motor vehicles
- Qualification to operate government motor vehicles and vehicular equipment for "Maintenance Purposes Only"
- No record of claustrophobia or claustrophobic tendencies
- ASVAB score of 62 on General
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8 ½ weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Emergency Management Directors