« return to job listing
Overview: Wear, tear and fatigue occurs in metals without visible signs. Similar to employing x-rays to visualize internal body parts, the Air Force Reserve uses non-invasive methods to inspect the insides of metal objects. The responsibility of Nondestructive Inspection (NDI) personnel is to identify possible defects in systems and equipment prior to their becoming potentially dangerous problems.
- Determine fluids and parts for inspection and interpret and report results to the repair center
- Analyze wear metal content on engine lubricating oil and other fluids
- Detect cracks, delaminations, voids, processing defects and heat damage
- Establish areas for radiographic operations and monitor radiographic exposure to personnel
- Perform operator maintenance and inspections on shop equipment and tools
- HS diploma or GED. Completion of courses in mathematics, chemistry, industrial technology, physics, computer knowledge and shop is desirable.
- Normal color vision
- ASVAB score of 42 on Mechanical
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 7.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Aircraft and Avionics Equipment Mechanics and Technicians
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Painter, Transportation Equipment