« return to job listing
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Overview: For most surgeons the two greatest satisfactions are performing the surgery itself and then seeing how much you have helped someone. Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons in the Air Force Reserve also achieve a special satisfaction in helping military members and their families, as well as assisting in disaster relief and humanitarian operations.
- Examine, diagnose and surgically treat abnormalities and injuries of oral and maxillofacial structures.
- Apply fixation apparatus for fractures of jaws and adjacent bones
- Determine resource requirements for operation of oral surgery service
- For entry into this speciality, a doctor of dental surgery or a doctor of dental medicine degree from an American Dental Association accredited college or university
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.