« return to job listing
Overview: An environment that includes aircraft operations and maintenance, the use of heavy equipment, search and rescue and other military missions, as well as a culture of physical fitness lends itself to orthopedic injuries. Orthopedic Surgeons in the Air Force Reserve have the opportunity to treat and perform surgery on the full spectrum of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions.
- Examine and treat musculoskeletal diseases and injuries by surgical and conservative means
- Manage orthopedic surgery services
- Instruct interns and residents in orthopedic surgery procedures
- Serve as a consultant on orthopedics
For entry into this specialty:
- Doctor of medicine degree or a doctor of osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy
- Current enrollment in an orthopedic surgery residency program acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Officer Training School Abbreviated. This five-week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.