« return to job listing
Overview: Preventing diseases from occurring and controlling them from spreading are the most cost efficient and life saving measures in healthcare. Public Health personnel are responsible for minimizing health risks within military communities. Most of their work is based upon common sense principles; ensuring that food is handled safely, facilities are sanitary, pests are controlled and precautions are taken to isolate rather than spread communicable diseases.
- Conducts food inspection, safety and security programs
- Evaluate sanitary conditions of food, public facilities and aircraft
- Organize communicable disease prevention and control programs
- Monitor compliance and effectiveness of vector and pest control programs
- Assist in Occupational Health and medical management programs
- HS diploma or GED. Completion of high school courses in biology, chemistry and general science is desirable.
- Normal color vision
- Valid state driver's license and qualification to operate government vehicles
- Must pass Reading Aloud Test as defined in AFI 48-123
- ASVAB score of 48 on Administrative
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 7.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Occupational Health and Safety Technicians