« return to job listing
Residency Trained Flight Surgeon
Overview: These Flight Surgeons have also completed a residency in a specialty other than aerospace medicine. They administer the Aerospace Medicine Program, including medical evaluations and care for flyers, missile crews and others with special standards of medical qualification. They also administer programs for preventative medicine, occupational medicine and control of health hazards.
- Develop policies and procedures governing flight medicine, preventative medicine and occupational medicine
- Establish medical standards for flying personnel and determine recommendation on waivers
- Provide preventative and occupational medicine support
- Manage disorders and injuries peculiar to flight and serve as liaison between squadrons and medical services
- Serve as staff advisor to flying squadron commander
- Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy
- A state license to practice medicine
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.