« return to job listing
Space System Operations
Overview: Space is one of the challenging high-tech frontiers in which the Air Force Reserve plays a key role. Space System Operations personnel perform vital tasks in the Space Program, from tracking satellites to detecting missiles and participating in rocket launches. They are also essential in operating the Global Positioning System (GPS), which is primarily utilized to provide navigation information to military forces around the world.
- Detect, identify and maintain surveillance on low orbiting and deep space satellite vehicles
- Detect and track sea-launched and intercontinental ballistic missiles
- Perform launch and on-orbit operations for military communications and Navistar Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites
- Assist in-flight hardware processing for DoD, NASA and commercial users
- Completion of high school with coursework in algebra is required. Coursework in physics, geometry, trigonometry, and/or computer science is desirable.
- Normal color vision
- ASVAB score of 70 on Electrical
- Eligibility for Top Secret security clearance
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8 ½ weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Occupation:
- Radar and Sonar Technicians