« return to job listing
Special Investigations - Officer
Overview: The Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) is a federal law enforcement agency that operates outside the military chain of command. These officers manage and conduct special investigations within the Air Force community that range from background checks to major law violations, espionage, sabotage, terrorism and other security violations, including criminal, fraud, counterintelligence, internal security, technical services and other related activities.
- Formulate special investigations policy governing investigative and related programs in counterintelligence, cyber threats, counter threat, criminal, fraud and technical services areas
- Coordinate special investigation activities and serve as representative on committees and boards
- Analyze and disseminate information of counterintelligence, criminal, fraud, internal security and technical services nature to USAF commanders and other federal, DoD, state and local agencies
- Bachelor's degree; specialization in criminal justice, criminology, behavioral science, social psychology, forensic psychology, political science, government, cyber/electronics operations and warfare, computer science or engineering, area/ethnic/cultural studies, public administration, business management, accounting, law or legal studies is desirable.
- Force officers (grades O-1 through O-3) with less than 12 years total active federal military service and no more than six years total commissioned service.
- Favorable interview by an AFOSI detachment commander
- Certification by Commander of AFOSI
- Qualification to bear firearms according to AFI 31-117
- Applicants must also demonstrate, either via live or dry fire, the ability to meet the weapons handling standards for the Handgun Training Program in AF Manual 36-2227
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and distinctly
- Must possess or be eligible for a valid state vehicle operator’s permit
- Normal color vision as defined in AFI 48-123
- No record of emotional instability
- Eligiblity for Top Secret security clearance
- For award of AFSC 71S3, completion of the special investigators' course at the Air Force Special Investigations Academy is mandatory