« return to job listing
Overview: Constructing and repairing buildings and other structures from the foundation up is the task of Structural personnel. They are experienced in all types of structures including wood, masonry, concrete and sheet metal, and also apply the interior trim and finishing coatings and materials. In addition, they ensure that all construction complies with environmental regulations.
- Fabricate and repair components of buildings, utility systems and real property equipment
- Prepare and interpret working drawings and schematics for buildings and structures
- Prepare cost estimates including determining materials and labor costs
- Erect scaffolding and work from high reach ladders and mobile platforms
- HS diploma or GED is mandatory. Completion of courses in mathematics mechanical drawing, and use of metal, masonry and wood working tools is desirable.
- Normal color vision
- Possess a valid state driver's license to operate a government vehicle
- Freedom from fear of heights
- ASVAB score of 47 on Mechanical
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 7.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Brickmasons, Blockmasons and Stonemasons
- Cement Masons and Terrazzo Workers
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers