« return to job listing
Tactical Aircraft Maintenance
Overview: Tactical Aircraft include fighters, strike-fighters and attack planes. Tactical Aircraft Maintenance personnel are the crew chiefs for these high-performance aircraft and are responsible for ensuring that every component is maintained to the highest standards. They perform general maintenance and must be able to determine when these aircraft require individual systems specialists.
- Perform scheduled inspections, functional checks, and preventive maintenance on tactical aircraft and aircraft installed equipment
- Pre-flight: inspect and perform various functional checks of the aircraft as well as ensure that the aircraft has been properly serviced with fuel, hydraulic fluid, and liquid oxygen.
- Post-flight: ensure the aircraft is still in "operationally ready" condition.
- Perform general mechanical work as opposed to working on a particular system or subsystem
- Completion of high school courses in physics, pneudraulics, and electronics is desirable.
- Normal color vision
- ASVAB score of 47 on Mechanical
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8 ½ weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX, followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Aircraft and Avionics Equipment Mechanics and Technicians