« return to job listing
Overview: While tracking severe storms is the mission of the Hurricane Hunters, adverse or extreme weather can impede the execution of other Air Force Reserve missions. Weather Specialists utilize the latest technologies to predict weather patterns, prepare forecasts and communicate weather information to commanders and pilots.
- Use satellite and radar imagery, computer programs and weather communication instruments to analyze and forecast atmospheric and space weather conditions
- Tailor and communicate weather information to meet operational requirements
- High school diploma or GED is required. Courses in physics, chemistry, earth sciences, geography, computer sciences and mathematics are desirable.
- Ability to speak distinctly
- Visual acuity correctable to 20/20
- ASVAB scores of 66 on General and 50 on Electrical
- Eligibility for Secret security clearance
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Reporters, Correspondents and Broadcast News Analysts
- Life, Physical and Social Science Technicians